OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BP Oil Spill (Gulf of Mexico) capped.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: BP Oil Spill (Gulf of Mexico) capped. Reply with quote

Apparently, they finally stopped the flow of oil into the gulf, even if only temporarily. It's easy enough to find reports online, so I'm not going to bother finding a report with good coverage.

Thoughts on the ordeal?

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those really freak accidents, that's for sure.

My concern is that the use of chemical dispersants to reduce the amount of oil that washed up on shore may have caused more oil to settle at the bottom of the Gulf, which may be even more damaging to sea life in the long run. All because people want clear beaches. Meh.

The one saving grace is that now we've learned a lot about how to deal with (and possibly prevent) similar events in the future, although hopefully none ever get that bad (there have been similar events off the coasts of China and Russia in the past, but nobody really knows what was done to solve them, or their extent; most information about them never made it to the press). Hopefully sea life in the affected region of the Gulf is able to recover in a timely fashion, although it will definitely be affecting the fishing communities off the coast for years, if not decades...

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I work in business intelligence for Renewable Energy and Power as a whole; Oil & Gas is covered by a colleague of mine.

The trend I am seeing after the spill are nuclear and renewable companies taking advantage of this, stating this example as the exact reason why we cannot rely on oil for energy for our future energy needs.

Howwwwever, I love internal combustion engined cars and dagnabbit I can't get away from that.
MageKing17

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhreakyByNature wrote:
The trend I am seeing after the spill are nuclear and renewable companies taking advantage of this, stating this example as the exact reason why we cannot rely on oil for energy for our future energy needs.
Well, we can't rely on oil for our future energy needs, but that's because we don't rely on it for our current energy needs. We use oil for combustion engines, not energy production... we burn coal for that.
LacticStone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much prefer as many renewable energy avenues..but I'm hoping this eventually leads to the decentralization of energy sources in general and opens up more opportunity for community autonomy and/or small businesses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: