OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, that's it then?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D347H

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: So, that's it then? Reply with quote

Is the OMF franchise essentially dead? I never actually played BG, but 2097 will always hold a place in my heart. Smile

Good to see my login still works though... I doubt anyone remembers me - I don't think I left as much of an impression as many of the others here did.

I found this forum via the Wikipedia entry (thank you). Well, it linked to a thread in this forum, which indicates that Rob's decided to discontinue the site - hence my above question.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all I know, he should still sit on the IP rights and what not, but I really doubt we will ever see anything more from OMF.

And don't worry, some old farts like myself still remember you, even if just vaguely (As most things are nowadays... hmm...).

Probably wouldn't be all that much to "get" from the OMF franchise any longer anyways. Something like a XBLA version of omf2097/omfbg might be about the only thing left worth some dollars, and from the look of things, Rob ain't interested in that either.
dvereb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still bankin' on winning the lottery, coming down to Florida (or wherever Rob is) and fully funding a remake.......... but the chances.... oh the chances Sad

Edit: ha, appears I forgot I said this in the other thread. At least I have my ideas in order for when it happens!
The T

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvereb wrote:
I'm still bankin' on winning the lottery, coming down to Florida (or wherever Rob is) and fully funding a remake.......... but the chances.... oh the chances Sad

Edit: ha, appears I forgot I said this in the other thread. At least I have my ideas in order for when it happens!

How much would a project for launching a proper sequel cost these days?
Cyberman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you'd need about a dozen people (at least) for, say, five years.
And then you need advertising and such. Which probably costs even more.

The next best thing, IMO, would be a sort of revival of BG, using the Mod tools. If someone still had them. (And if they are usable - though I've heard their UI isn't good.)

So, a modding of the BG engine would probably be cheaper. Of course, some will say the graphics are outdated.

[edit]Of course, the first thing to do would be hacking the client to properly function in Vista and beyond.
MageKing17

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberman wrote:
The next best thing, IMO, would be a sort of revival of BG, using the Mod tools. If someone still had them. (And if they are usable - though I've heard their UI isn't good.)
I have them, and they're pretty hard to use, but not impossible.

Cyberman wrote:
So, a modding of the BG engine would probably be cheaper. Of course, some will say the graphics are outdated.
Modding the game won't fix bugs with the engine itself, and believe me, there are plenty of those.

Cyberman wrote:
[edit]Of course, the first thing to do would be hacking the client to properly function in Vista and beyond.
Good luck with that. Probably never going to happen.
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MageKing17 wrote:
Cyberman wrote:
I have them, and they're pretty hard to use, but not impossible.

Cyberman wrote:
Modding the game won't fix bugs with the engine itself, and believe me, there are plenty of those.

Cyberman wrote:
Good luck with that. Probably never going to happen.

as far as I know, Rob's been working on his new game, Demolition Masters (or something like that), still from the Phoenix engine. Perhaps eventually there will be an engine update for the mod tools.

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Dzament

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given access to the full engine code (EG: The source or something) i could likely easily fix the problems with it on vista and some of the more horrific engine bugs

Then again, i work in coding and game design so Confused

But, that happening would be dependant on me having a full variant of the code, hack-adding code to it honestly wouldn't do much i think

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had full engine source code, you'd probably have plenty of people willing and able to fix bugs.
D347H

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a huge shame, really. I think that, ignoring the bugs and balance etc, BG was just way too early for its time.
If it had come out around now, in the age of Steam (et al): where digital distribution is becoming the status quo, where word of mouth is the new advertising medium, where the average user's internet connection is actually good for gaming, where the world is becoming more and more interconnected; on the internet where the indie developer reigns supreme, it probably would have found more success.
(Of course, the graphics would need to be up to date, unless you took a cell-shaded or surrealist approach to the art; but that's a given - as graphics technologies improve so does the standard, but then so does the graphical design software.)
Dzament

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D347H wrote:

(Of course, the graphics would need to be up to date, unless you took a cell-shaded or surrealist approach to the art; but that's a given - as graphics technologies improve so does the standard, but then so does the graphical design software.)

Given that the textures could easily be redone into a cartoon or cel-shaded style (Like champions online or Monday Night Combat) with little work, this would be the likely solution

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently came back to this game, and I still find it enjoyable. @ Mageking, are you maddan, or flaming monkey? I seem to remember someone changed their name.
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meowbeast wrote:
@ Mageking, are you maddan, or flaming monkey? I seem to remember someone changed their name.

He's neither

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
ouch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meowbeast! My arch enemy... we meet again... lol

ouch

scientifically engineered to hate StarForce

MageKing17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
Meowbeast wrote:
@ Mageking, are you maddan, or flaming monkey? I seem to remember someone changed their name.

He's neither
Indeed, if I were in a mind to change names it would probably be away from MageKing17, but I'm stubborn about things like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: