OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for modeler for OMF remake
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xavior

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Looking for modeler for OMF remake Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My name is XavioR and I've been a rather active member of the quake 1 modding community for quite a while (inside3d and other sites). I've also been a huge fan of OMF for a long time, as well as other fighting games such as Super Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. I had always wondered if Epic or any other developer would take OMF and remake it. Battlegrounds was nice, but it was not a send-back to the glory days of old.

I am planning to create a remake of OMF, bringing it back to the basics - 2-D fighting plane, same characters, and same-machine multiplayer. It will be built on the FTE and/or Darkplaces engine(s), since I have had quite a fair amount of experience modding with both (see megatf coop, halo solitude, and quake-life; I also contributed a bit to Nexuiz).

The game will be based around the same gameplay concepts as the original OMF, but with 3D models and, most importantly, online play. Coding is one area which I can handle on my own, but I am rather at odds with making 3D models. Thus, I would like to recruit anyone with modeling skills - preferably MD3 (quake 3 model format), or .zym (see Nexuiz) - to assist me with this project.

I'm looking for someone who can create two fully-animated HARs, based on the original OMF2097 sprite animations. This is simply to create a proof-of-concept game model to give to the community and from which to gain feedback.

If anyone has modeling skills and the will to take on such a project, please feel free to send me an e-mail: [email protected]

Also please feel free to leave any comments/feedback on my ideas. You can check out some of my other projects on inside3d (I go by "avirox" there).
Xaronth

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't make anything but I just wanted to say good luck. Quake has spawned great modding projects and even inspiration for great games like Warsow.
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
xavior

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support. I've been searching far and wide and have found a few old-time OMF players across the web (irc, web forums, and the like).

Today I was able to set up the basic movement and physics system for the game. Although it's not 100%, it feels very much like OMF2097 jumping around and such Smile

Now, modelers and animators, get ye here! ^^
xavior

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Development beginneth! (Very early WIP shots to follow..)
MobileNow

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to say good luck and I hope you complete this project. OMF2097 is one of my favorite games of all time. It has been years, but I still play it through DOSBOX.

I look forward to a completed project! I can't wait to play it.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to have it official here as well, I wish you good luck on the project.

As mentioned in irc, I no longer remember anyone around that still does any 3d. Xbot might know something.
Xaronth

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavior wrote:
Development beginneth! (Very early WIP shots to follow..)

Even though it's an early shot I still like how the jaguar looks. I think if the game carries the same graphics and style of Nexuiz it would fit it well.
xavior

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaronth: Yeah, I have a certain fondness for Nexuiz Razz I was even thinking of adding a few of the Nexuiz robots as "surprise" characters later on, since I really think they fit the style.

BTW, you can thank fellow forum member Hawki_ice for the jag model, even though it's still in early stages and incomplete. He has been totally awesome in helping me out and is great to work with.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah you did get hold of Hawki_Ice, tell him hello from me if he still remembers me :)
MageKing17

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for modeler for OMF remake Reply with quote

xavior wrote:
I also contributed a bit to Nexuiz
Really? I install Nexuiz on just about any computer I get my hands on, as a test of its capabilities and as a fun, free FPS. If you manage to make something that high-quality OMF-related...

Unfortunately, I cannot model, so I'm out.
xavior

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for modeler for OMF remake Reply with quote

MageKing17 wrote:
xavior wrote:
I also contributed a bit to Nexuiz
Really? I install Nexuiz on just about any computer I get my hands on, as a test of its capabilities and as a fun, free FPS. If you manage to make something that high-quality OMF-related...

Unfortunately, I cannot model, so I'm out.

I didn't do any of the graphical or more technical aspects. I did contribute a bit to some animations code and code for CTF, however. The team was very nice, and I still chat with a lot of them regularly on IRC.

PS. Some new updates coming up! I almost got hitboxes working as I like 'em.
xavior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm implementing several of Jaguar's hit boxes. This is a new addition to my OMF remake, as I believe the original game used some form of per-pixel collision. You can see a WIP screenshot of the hitbox editor below:

Hit boxes also have specific properties, including:
- Hitting High/Low
- Juggle Air/Ground
- Four different levels of priority: low/med/high/invincible

I'm really close to getting something playable here. There are 4 normal moves programmed in already, and specials will follow soon enough. Hopefully I will have some videos to show off at QExpo 2011 Smile

Now somebody find me an artist so I can make the font look less like Quake 1 lol. Peace!
Xaronth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavior wrote:

Now somebody find me an artist so I can make the font look less like Quake 1 lol. Peace!

Haha was about to mention it.
MobileNow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work! I really hope you're able to get something playable. OMF2097 is one of my favorite games of all time.
SpeedBlade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled 'MobileNow'.

lol... Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: