OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for modeler for OMF remake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xavior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven: I'm not averse to a little improvisation. I'm also considering adding some new HARs to the game (Mantis from OMF:BG is one, but I dunno if using that game's IP would go over too well).
Xaronth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavior wrote:
Xaronth wrote:
Xavier: I took a look at the booth which got me thinking, are you going to need a dedicated website soon? If so I might be able to help.

Aye, Hawki and I were just discussing this. I will probably make a ModDB page soon enough, and an actual webpage would do us good too (and forums if possible!). If you can help out in any way, please let me know Smile

Thanks!

I have a hosting account we can use to set up the site. I'm not a php king but I can get something fairly decent with html or even just simple wordpress and phpbb for forum.

Only thing we will need is a domain. The one I have won't go too well for a subdomain lol.
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
xavior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaronth wrote:
xavior wrote:
Xaronth wrote:
Xavier: I took a look at the booth which got me thinking, are you going to need a dedicated website soon? If so I might be able to help.

Aye, Hawki and I were just discussing this. I will probably make a ModDB page soon enough, and an actual webpage would do us good too (and forums if possible!). If you can help out in any way, please let me know Smile

Thanks!

I have a hosting account we can use to set up the site. I'm not a php king but I can get something fairly decent with html or even just simple wordpress and phpbb for forum.

Only thing we will need is a domain. The one I have won't go too well for a subdomain lol.

Well if you'd like to get started in the meantime, I suppose we can sort out domains at a later time. Come to worst we can just use my current host (avirox.amnesiagames.com). Thanks again
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of suggestions for communication and web related things.

1: Use this forum, it is where everyone gathers that still have any interest in omf, and as I've mentioned a thousand times before, splitting people up even further between more forums serves no purpose.

And if you absolutely insist on having a own forum I can setup a base phpbb forum easily enough (Already hosting 2 or 3 forums, so why not another one...)

2: I'm not a web guru by any means, but I can setup sub-domains on my own domains fairly easy. Though I still haven't figured out how to setup accounts for anyone but myself to edit and fix and stuff, so would probably be stuck with me having to update and upload files etc.

On another note, it is good to see you are making progress, but from what I was reading at the booth, are you certain you're not biting on more than you can chew ?

Feature Creep is the doom of projects after all. That, and as Ravo mentioned, lacking communication (Which is another grand reason to use this forum).

-rap out,
Yonder old goat.
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Raptor you listen! He knows.

Scorpion Navy Issue
xavior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor wrote:
Couple of suggestions for communication and web related things.

1: Use this forum, it is where everyone gathers that still have any interest in omf, and as I've mentioned a thousand times before, splitting people up even further between more forums serves no purpose.

And if you absolutely insist on having a own forum I can setup a base phpbb forum easily enough (Already hosting 2 or 3 forums, so why not another one...)

2: I'm not a web guru by any means, but I can setup sub-domains on my own domains fairly easy. Though I still haven't figured out how to setup accounts for anyone but myself to edit and fix and stuff, so would probably be stuck with me having to update and upload files etc.

On another note, it is good to see you are making progress, but from what I was reading at the booth, are you certain you're not biting on more than you can chew ?

Feature Creep is the doom of projects after all. That, and as Ravo mentioned, lacking communication (Which is another grand reason to use this forum).

-rap out,
Yonder old goat.

The problem with using this forum is that I want to attract new players, not just the old ones. It would confuse new-comers to chat about the game solely on the BG forums. Thus, I would really prefer we have our own place after development starts picking up.

As for feature creep, I don't feel like I'm trying to bite off more than I can chew just yet. The project is already coming along to the point where online multiplayer is already functional and all of Jaguar's normals are functioning. The real clutch is whether or not I can get people who are interested in the project to help out with graphics and sound, which is why I am touting some of the proposed features to gain more interest.

These are my perspectives on the issues, although I appreciate the advice Smile

Peace
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's good to have some sort of separate forum for development of the game. You don't see any forums where devs explicitly talk about their game engine, bugs they find, features they add, and their general day to day activity. For something this small you don't need (or really want) a completely private forum for 2 devs and a modeller. But you do want somewhere separate so that you don't have everyone interested hounding you with dev related questions you don't have time to answer.

I took a look at Milkshape 3d, the software Hawki_ice is using for the project. How on Earth did he manage to create a model of Shadow using that? To me that is like putting together a motorcycle with a swiss army knife and some duct tape. I'll stick with Blender and Wings and just hope I can export my work to a useful format.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent an hour today and made this:

Don't look now, it's the power plant! Complete with close to true textures and scale. Of coures I have no idea what's compatible with their game engine, but I'm assuming this isn't. It comes out of a 3d modeller, animator, and game engine called Werkkzeug 3.
I spent a little time in Blender and succeeded in making Pyros move, don't know if I can export that either. Not just posing the mesh, but real animation with key frames and a skeleton. Quite easy compared to when I tried animation half a decade ago. Not proficient yet, but getting there.

Scorpion Navy Issue

Last edited by Raven on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
xavior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Spent an hour today and made this:

Don't look now, it's the power plant! Complete with close to true textures and scale. Of coures I have no idea what's compatible with their game engine, but I'm assuming this isn't. It comes out of a 3d modeller, animator, and game engine called Werkkzeug 3.

I spent a little time in Blender and succeeded in making Pyros move, don't know if I can export that either. Still not touchin' Milkshape. No thank you.

Sweet jebus, if I could get that in our game Hawki_ice would have an orgasm.

At any rate, we're using Q3BSP and HL map format (yeah, FTE supports both). If you'd like to take a crack at it, download Hammer 3.5 (google it). You can also download my famous OMF template map here.
Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Werkkzeug since it's release over 10 years ago. I'm by no means proficient, but I did used to make my own tutorials for others with the first version. Werkkzeug 3 offers a lot more. It's also hopelessly incompatible with everything. You use their software to model, texture, animate, make scenes, and make the entire game or demoscene.

Anyhoo, I'm downloading Hammer 3.5 right now. Won't mess with it tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xavior: I know I told the importance the keeping everyone up to date, but at this point please do not post screenshots from this forum on to the booth. Some things won't make it into the game engine, for now I recommend limiting posted screenshots to those from in the game itself.

Also redid the power plant. Wings version, can be exported.

Question though: Can the original arenas be screen shotted and imported into the game as arenas themselves? It would be a quick & easy way to make placeholders for the eventually remade ones.

Scorpion Navy Issue
xavior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't know you wanted it kept private. I did mention that it was an early WIP shot.

As for using the old arenas as placeholders.. if you can export the graphics, I can put em in the maps as textures. Just need JGP, BMP, whateva.. Then add them to a .WAD file (half-life wad using the great program Wally), load up Hammer 3.5 with the WAD, and place in textures.
Bean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking cool!
xavior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:
This is looking cool!

Thanks! ^^

P.S. I will be gone for a week or so, but if anyone wants to reach me regarding modeling, mapping, or contributing anything else to the project you can just send me an e-mail. Good things are coming soon!
xavior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey yall! I'm back!

Nothing new to report yet. I've been cleaning up some of the code for OMF and making things more expandable. With luck, I'll get some kinda of "turbo" mode equivalent in the game that lets you dynamically change the game speed (I know some people like this in the original 2097.. we'll see how feasible it is).

I'm still looking for people to help out! If you know anyone who can do graphics art, sound design, music, models, maps, animations.. please!! Send them my way. I really want this project to go through, but there's only so much I can do without the resources.

Anyhow, I'll post again when there's something new to report. Chill out there yall \o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: