OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The GAME!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hensoup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I'm working on a PC fighting game which is sort of a successor to OMF 2097

it's not a remake or fan game or unofficial sequel. it's a fighting game that will be built for PC and possible support for mobile and net-book devices. uses giant robot and pilot combinations, RPG like tournament mode, traps and other stuff that still makes the second OMF game special (by second I mean OMF 2097 not battlegrounds.)

it was going to have human and humanoid players but with me liking OMF 2097 I figured I'd make this a robot game and for other reasons I did it to make development easier and have cool ideas and gimmicks too it.

I have a semi daily prototype reuploaded weekly or daily.

http://www.hensoupstudios.com/WebPlayer.html

This prototype just started it used WASD and mouse buttons or J for Punch and K for Kick. Space bar to jump

I am planning on putting a mouse aim and use mouse gestures for unique PC play. similar to the spell system in Arx Fatalis.

it will also have classic game page and keyboard only support.

this will be free to play(with micro transactions on new fighters and arenas) or commercial. it uses the Unity engine and this game is entirely developed my me and me only.

it's still got a year to complete this "Demo" is sort of a "Diary" so you know what is exactly going on with development and not getting any BS marketing talk.
Raven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I won't download and install a web player.
No. I won't buy a game that involves "micro payments"

I paid $50 for 5 floppies that was OMF 2097. I paid $50 for one CD that is OMFBG. No regrets. I am NOT paying $50 in "micro payments" for a "free" game that requires me to download web players. Nor $25, $15, or even $10. Steam doesn't get much out of me for DLC, and neither will you.

TL;DR: Don't involve a web browser, persistent internet connection, or micropayments. Don't stoop that low.

Switching topics, watched Ghost in the Shell for the first time. The end scene with the Major and the tank is just epic. The mood, the music, the suspense, even the english voice acting is just incredible for an anime. Why can't they make them this good anymore?

Scorpion Navy Issue
hensoup

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The web thing is not a exclusive thing just a to show what's actually being developed it would be a full executable game the web thing is for display what's going one I don't want to show a EXE of it. I still am figuring out if I even want to go with the Micro Pay route. I only would make it Micropay if you are willing to pay just 1 dollar for a full expansions every 2 years I mean actually worthwhile stuff. I only would do that idea because I hate it when Capcom does the "super" route and charge another 30-50 dollars for the EXACT game only with Super and a few costumes and 4-5 fighters and arenas. But then again I might drop the Micropayment all together.

the reason is going to to do small priced full expansion so the game would actually only be 6 dollars in total for 6 years of the game's life time.

the game will be free when it's EXE. unless I just do one flat 20 dollar fee.

Online is free and no need for DRM. no need to even have a account. There is going to be a single player NO Online activation. I'm not Nexon ro Perfect World.

Then again should I drop the MP and just charge 20 like Torchlight and Minecraft? that away I don't need ot worry about expansions all together?
Xaronth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
hensoup

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm serious!

I wanted to do a a completely free game where you the main game is free and the content is actually full expansion packs for 1-2 dollars for 1 large pack only updated rarely. I'm doing episodic route because of the game's plot is different. I wanted to put a actual story into the game and not just a "tournament" like most fighting games do. it's not like you would pay 40 dollars per item or even a "super" version for 50 a piece.

I wanted to do the micro not as a sneaky way to make things expensive but. to make the game be cheap paying a lot less for a expansions that are completely optional. There is no online needed for single player. Online Multi-player was going to be not needed for verification and crap. except for things of online tournaments would it would be required.

I was also wanting to add mod support later on for anyone to create there own robotics.

I'll do a 20 dollar game with free add ons. I'm serious I wanted to do a proper 3D PC fighting game.

the web player is a demo only and it's not really even a demo it's sort of a direct "blog" WHAT IS exactly been added and changed in the game.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at it (though I had to fire it up in firefox, as I didn't get it to work in Opera), looks nice. You clearly have an engine up and running, which is more than most of those that tried to make remakes of OMF ever did, so credit for that.

I won't comment about micro-transactions and the hostility of such. Personally if I like something I buy it, if I don't, then I don't. Simple. I certainly did like the market plan they had with good old Commander Keen though, episode 1 was free/shareware, and you could buy the two next episodes. If that was your plan, then all the more power to you.

Naturally I'm a bit curious/biased when it comes to alternative settings with pilots and robots and what not. Especially considering I'm fan of enough of them already (OMF, Gundam, Macross for example), so I'll be waiting to see on that.

Not a huge fan of 2.5D graphics, being the old curmudgeon that I am, but I'll wait and see what you make of it.
hensoup

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I needed detailed comments. like that. the Engine is Unity 3D I used that engine as it's perfect for games like this where it can be done in a matter of hours instead of months.

it is Full 3D with more 3D style moviements WASD moves sideways and such. and space to jump I need to create a EXE of it when it's a actual playable prototype. I only used the web plugin because the file is small enought and it's not alpha yet when it gets to atleast alpha We will have a real Executable.

Maybe MP is the wrong term I'm going for a sam and Max idea having actual episodes where you also get a detail plot of why the robots fight and such. I wanted to put a different plot to it than a tournament. I get tired of the "Tournament plot" I was thinking of mix of Mad Max and Mecha Anime.

The Plot is about solar system that has fallen into anarchy after a 2th universal war You have 10 pilots with 8 robbots to choose from for any combination to achieve what each. where some are apart of factons of fallen goverments, anarchists, gangs, and individuals. each pilot is having a point of view of all of this.

if I do the episodes it will add in 4-5 robots and atleast 2 pilots but will the real thing is going to be added storyline for a possible "final fight" style quest mode where you assist in the already war torn world of this.

what makes this special is the fact it's base game is fully free to play and NO ANNOYING DRM. or online needed for singleplayer and possible quest mode. the only "DRM" or registration you probably just need is for Online tourments which is only to monitor hacker cheats and security. that is all free even multiplayer.

The title of the game has been somewhat decided originally it was going to have a game about ballerinas fighting to the dead similar to twisted anime style stereotypes. with "good and pretty girl gone horrible wrong or sexed up in a anime fashion" but I like OMF 2097 I was dissapointed by Battlegrounds and I wanted a spiritual sequel. plus Robots are easier to model from my stand point. I also go Nephews who like stuff like Transformers and such. so it would be cool to make this game for them as well.
Xaronth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hensoup wrote:
I'm serious!

Believe me the laughter is mainly from Raven's post lmao
hensoup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaronth wrote:
hensoup wrote:
I'm serious!

Believe me the laughter is mainly from Raven's post lmao

oh okay. yea... I love how this game is going to work because I also in the quest mode with the story a lot of radical differences with this and fighting games.

You only have 1 "round" in the story mode if you loose you either loose the game or something happens to your characters where paths change. Depending on what happens.

The single player "arena" mode is like classic single player OMF, and Tournament mode is like OMF's tournament. This might get delayed with my other game I'm working on but this will be actual something fun.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Switching topics, watched Ghost in the Shell for the first time. The end scene with the Major and the tank is just epic. The mood, the music, the suspense, even the english voice acting is just incredible for an anime. Why can't they make them this good anymore?

Forgot to answer to this one earlier. Yup, GitS is amazing. I didn't like the second movie at all first time I watched it, but after watching it again, I loved it for some reason.

The series isn't bad, but not nearly as good as the movies.

Also, sorry about no pictures about anything yet, will have to get around to that.
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot all about this thread. And now here I am reeled in to posting again. The GAME never ends! Now this is going to be the only thread anyone posts in anymore.

I moved on from GitS. I'm not even going to look at Arise. I hate it when characters magically lose a decade of age and gain Japanese Barbie proportions. I don't even want to start at how hard I raged at Metroid Prime 2 when they did it to Samus.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Xaronth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I forgot all about this thread. And now here I am reeled in to posting again. The GAME never ends! Now this is going to be the only thread anyone posts in anymore.

I moved on from GitS. I'm not even going to look at Arise. I hate it when characters magically lose a decade of age and gain Japanese Barbie proportions. I don't even want to start at how hard I raged at Metroid Prime 2 when they did it to Samus.

Ya it's too ideal and creepy. I remember Parasite Eve 2 instruction manual had something about the main character being in her late 20s but because of her special abilities she actually looked like a teenager. Maybe it wasn't that game but I swear I've seen similar stuff like that out of Japan.

Someone tell Japan it's OK to be older than 18 you won't decay and turn to dust.

OK I just went ahead and googled it and saw this on the wiki lmao:

"According to the games' backstory, Aya Brea was born in Boston, Massachusetts on November 20, 1972. She is of mixed ethnicity, as her father was of European descent and her mother, Mariko, was Japanese. Due to this, she has Asian facial features, such as the shape of her face and eyes, while possessing typically Nordic blue eyes and fair blonde hair."
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://satwcomic.com/child-s-play

Well yes, I'm mostly annoyed at all the 14-16 year olds that look like they're 20+ at times. Anime is a very bad media for displaying age, so very few are actually able to draw characters with proper age.
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm deeply concerned the upcoming remake of Legend of Galactic Heroes will feature a bunch of <20 year olds trying to make intergalactic democracy. It just won't sit well. Maybe I'll luck out and Madhouse will be the studio making it.

I'm so used to imageboards I feel compelled to upload a meaningless random image to attach to my post.

Scorpion Navy Issue
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in regard to Metroid, well no clue any longer how old she is supposed to be, but kinda imaged about 30. And well, after Fusion, she can't even be called Milf, but Cilf, since she was more or less buildt into her own suit of armor to keep her alive. So yeah, shes more Cyborg than anything, and at that stage, I guess she could redesign her "outer armor plates" to look however she wanted.

I don't acknowledge Prime as Cannon though ! :p no FPS shall ever ruin my beloved Metroid series!

Also check you PM's, think I sent something months back iirc.

Anyways, if you did like GitS, might take a look at Appleseed if you haven't already. The movies are very good, if not quite up ti GitS standard, the series (watching it atm) is about same caliber as the GitS series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: