OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Actual OMF news
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Actual OMF news Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AhV5kAhmFE&feature=youtu.be

Got this link sent on email, take a look. No idea who from etc.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just post my comments here, as I wrote back on the email:

me wrote:
And for comments:

You got a good start there, I should warn you that allot of people that have tried to remake omf2097 in the past have generally gotten to about the same stage you've gotten in the video. Which means that most people looking at a remake will want to see actual in-game fight-scenes, to see/judge how far the actual game is along. It is just instinctive thinking for most of them nowadays. In short, you're probably going to get some flak for that.

Naturally that part is also the hardest, and takes the most work and time.

On to other aspects; Some of the graphics, especially the news reporter girl looked a bit weird, almost as if drawn up in flash. It isn't a big deal, but it was a bit of a turn off for me, as it lost that "drawn" quality it had in OMF, minor issue really. All in all the graphics where well done, especially liked the background image for the main menu. You even got the light's looking natural, something even the original had trouble with.

The arena shot looks like you fired up the game engine, and loaded up the arena map. Naturally I'm mostly interested in that part. Since I can't comment on any actual game-play related things yet, I'll just have to try to comment on what little I can see. I did notice that you haven't extended the arena, so still the small one screen arena, and not a scrolling one like Street Fighter 2 etc, makes sense from a remake perspective, though probably something people are going to ask for an optional part for. The idea to use lighting inside the arena map (rather, different lighting that the original) is interesting, I think it could be interesting, especially with some variations to the lighting controls, like following on the action, randomly going away etc, so it can distract, could actually be an arena "hazard". I think some of the details looked to 'stand out' a bit to much, might want to tone down a bit on the colors of some of the details that stand out a bit to much, the focus should be in the arena, not the arena itself.

The ending shot with the 3d model for the Jaguar: Can't say I saw much of it, but from what little I did see, it looked nice enough. Do note that I know next to nothing about 3D, so I'm not qualified to comments much about that. I thought it looked a bit clumsy in the last shot, but that seems to be because of the larger size of the shot. I think it would do very nice when shrunk down to in-game size.

Also, I think Robyrt will like your color selection.

Good luck and keep working :)

PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it IS Robyrt Surprised
D347H

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's XavioR. I think I may have seen him on this forum before...

I was just googling "One Must Fall 2097 remake" to see if anyone had attempted anything, and found this article,
http://www.thunderboltgames.com/features/article/remembering-one-must-fall-2097-feature-for-pc.html
In the comments, XavioR links to his work here,
http://avirox.amnesiagames.com/FTE/omf_remix/
From the video Raptor linked in May, I googled "One Must Fall 2097 HD" and found this,
http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/one-must-fall-2097-hd-looking-for-modelersartists

Not sure whether it's been productive or not though... Sad
takuban

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone had the source code of the original, it will be a completely different game with only the artwork being similar. I can already tell by the pics in the project folder that the hit detection will not be the same.

I'm also curious to see how the characters are going to be animated in 3D as I'm familiar with how the 2D sprite images were created.

Unfortunately, I don't see a re-make of OMF 2097 ever really materializing. It would be quite a bit of work for even Rob to do it over again in another format.
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw iDOS on iPad on YouTube running it... about as close as we'll get...!

aDosBox etc is fine, my mate put homebrew on his Wii and got it running DOSBox and OMF.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhreakyByNature wrote:
I saw iDOS on iPad on YouTube running it... about as close as we'll get...!

aDosBox etc is fine, my mate put homebrew on his Wii and got it running DOSBox and OMF.

Now you're making me want to install DosBox on my girlfriend's Android tablet (Galaxy Note 10.1) and see if it will run OMF...

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Pad Infinity coming. Keyboard controls + Android Tablet + DOSBox = OMF fun Very Happy
noobman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to bet that this is the last you'll hear of this project.

The problem is that you'll never completely match the gameplay feel of OMF. You'd really be getting a game that *feels* different in exchange for some modern graphics. Personally, I'm quite content with

Given that OMF 2097 runs flawlessly in DosBox, I'd argue that any time spent on an OMF project is best spent on a tournament... but even then most of the tournament ideas have been exhausted.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhreakyByNature wrote:
I've got a Pad Infinity coming. Keyboard controls + Android Tablet + DOSBox = OMF fun Very Happy

Yeah, I tried to convince her to get that instead... but she decided the more powerful hardware and a stylus trumped a nicer screen and a keyboard. (For her needs, she's probably right, though.)

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobman wrote:
I'm going to bet that this is the last you'll hear of this project.

The problem is that you'll never completely match the gameplay feel of OMF. You'd really be getting a game that *feels* different in exchange for some modern graphics. Personally, I'm quite content with

Given that OMF 2097 runs flawlessly in DosBox, I'd argue that any time spent on an OMF project is best spent on a tournament... but even then most of the tournament ideas have been exhausted.

Probably some truth to all of this. And I certainly agree that the largest problem with a remake is that, it will indeed feel like a total conversion of OMF into another game, no matter how much work put into it.

While DosBox is nice and dandy, there are things in the game that simply can't be 100% solved with that, most notoriously the multiplayer, which is a rather big deal for me.

Another thing that can not be done without a remake, is to completely rewamp the tournament mode. Since I more and more hate it's current setup, and no amount of custom tournaments are going to fix that.
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killer_roach wrote:
PhreakyByNature wrote:

Yeah, I tried to convince her to get that instead... but she decided the more powerful hardware and a stylus trumped a nicer screen and a keyboard. (For her needs, she's probably right, though.)

Hmm, is the 1.4Ghz Exonys Quad core more powerful than the 1.6 Tegra 3 Quad core? Double the RAM on the Sammy though, so defo a winner there...! S-Pen is cool - Can't wait to get a Galaxy Note 2 (or Pure Google Nexus depending on which seems better when my upgrade is due in December)

Here it is running on my Pad Infinity... Yes, using the keyboard is ace Smile

Even in aDOSBox just typing in the command prompt is better!

I've seen some performance reviews and the free aDOSBox is not great on performance. I'm going to buy DOSBox Turbo which seems totally worth it, and I believe emulates sound perfectly - aDOSBox I can't get sound yet...
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought DOSBox Turbo. Amazing. 2.49 well spent. Runs OMF flawlessly and rapidly with no lag and full sound. Incredible how far beyond aDOSBox this is. I guess that aDOSbox being Beta and free makes sense now.

All in all a great port of DOSBox for Android with a multitude of features including automatic cycle settings. Can't wait to see if XWing vs Tie Fighter or the like will run :p
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhreakyByNature wrote:
Hmm, is the 1.4Ghz Exonys Quad core more powerful than the 1.6 Tegra 3 Quad core? Double the RAM on the Sammy though, so defo a winner there...! S-Pen is cool - Can't wait to get a Galaxy Note 2 (or Pure Google Nexus depending on which seems better when my upgrade is due in December)

CPU performance is pretty close (with a possible slight edge to Samsung), but the GPU in the Exynos Quad is considerably more powerful.

Yeah, right now am looking between a Note 2 and a Nexus G for my next phone (I'd wait a bit longer, but I think I want to get off of T-Mobile as quickly as possible).

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Note 2 then, not current Nexus. Though it is slick as sin, it misses out on some awesome Tegra goodness being a little older now. If you're happy to wait for new Nexus, I'd hold out for one that isn't the LG one methinks, though on paper it seems quite the beast. My ideal Nexus would, hardware wise, have to be a Sony one methinks... They just... Get it.

Indeed if I wasn't so eager to have this keyboard (using it on the forums as we speak) the Xperia Tablet S would have been strongly considered, even with the issues of water resistance. They resolve them. Asus have no such concept of recalls nor a sense of loyalty to their loyal following.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: