OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy Raptor (Ranting Time)!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhreakyByNature wrote:
Love the idea of DrinkingWeather Justin :)

Raptor, I like the tourney changes - if anything a little different and more balanced, but indeed you're right, the original was the most beloved aspect of OMF: 2097 for many.

I think if you could win additional slots to level up for winning a tournament it would be good. As tournaments get harder, so must the fighter's stats be able to be expanded. No good offering max attributable slots in first tournament... Offer a few slots adjustable as necessary, then offer more as the fighter develops.

I hate that idea about more "upgrade slots" simply because it causes difference between fighters essentially. What I wanted to look for was a system that was equal to all, but each could adapt and specialize to their own style and preferences.

And the feeling of advancement was included in the idea that you have to earn up and buy the upgrades anyways, so you start with no upgrades, and have to earn the cash to buy each one. And even when you've bought your first 6 upgrades, you have to buy new ones if you want to try another setup. So there would still be some feeling of advancement :)

Anyways, a simple workaround to your mentality would be to just simply start off with 0 upgrade slots and earn 1 each time you complete a tournament, up to the max of 6 as I listed above. I don't like it, but it wouldn't make much difference :p And give you the hard limited upgrade feeling. Do note that in current tournament mode you could always "see" your max upgrades from the get go, so I don't see anything bad in that.

PS: I should also toss in a caveat to my earlier comment that balance isn't necessary in this setup if it is single player only; Kilo24 got annoyed at me for that comment, so just to clarify: I always believe that it is a worthy goal to strive for balance as much as possible. Just that it does not need to be as important a focus of such a design, as it would have to be for a multi-player game. Absolutely not an encouragement for skipping over balancing in the design.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todays brain-twister: What if scenario ?

Sitting looking at the poor old Thorn bot, and thinking about how dependent it is upon it's one special attack (Speed-Kick), I was pondering what if that one attack was even more awesome ? How awesome must that one attack be for the Thorn to be rightfully feared ? So I started playing with the idea, what if Thorn and Katana traded special attacks ? Speed-Kick vs Rising Blade ?

So this comes down to, according to the old ways and ratings of HAR's Katana is one of the top 2 best bots in the game, and Thorn typically hang out among the bottom 3 always. Having these two trade their signature special attacks with each others (So Thorn now has rising blade, and Katana now has Speed-Kick instead), how would this affect each bots power-level and general rating ?

The moves generally serve similar roles, both got lots of priority and some immunities, both are diagonal upward attack patterns and good against allot of the same things. But everyone agrees that the Rising Blades are the superior move because of its invulnerability for large amounts of frames. I don't think that this would actually affect their play-style a whole lot at all. And the Thorn would actually lose one approach vector (Speed-Kick air with Hyper mode) as Rising Blade does nothing to get you into a good attack position. It is however even better for defensive.

My estimate is that it would make Thorn possibly one of the best defensive bots, almost impossible to take down through the Rising Blade and long range pokes. And Katana would lose its main defensive edge for a slightly weaker variant, but gaining more offensive ability and would become a slightly more aggressive rather than all-rounded bot. I think Katana definitively would drop down one tier, and thorn.... might jump one up, but I don't know for certain, its new play-style would be a bit to strange to think about.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thought: AI learning combos ?

Something I've always wanted to see in the game, is a way that the game picks up all combos you and AI do (intentionally or accidentically) and lists them up in its own document. Then it sortas and rates them after damage, hits, bots, etc. And then you can look through them out of game. But more interestingly, the AI start using those combos against you!

This could even be limited by a certain random factor so it doesn't always picks the best combo avilable. And the difficulty setting limiting amounts of damage and hits per combo etc. This way the easier settings could do some cute 2-3 hit combos with little damage, but as you start playing the hardest difficulties, all limitations are set asside, and if you let it hit you, you're toast!

I think that would be a very fun way to play!
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's Fun Game: Name your reasons why Shadow sucks!

Essentially, Katajakasa asked in #omf today, "Why does Shadow suck so much?". While a very subjective question, with several subjective players wanting to answer it... subjectively. (And yes, in Single Player and Tournament Mode it rocks, as does every bot)

It is nevertheless an interesting question seen from the Multi-Player perspective, where it does indeed have trouble keeping up with other HAR's, and generally considered probably the single weakest entry.

So why is it so sucky ? I'll wait and watch if anyone else wants to answer something to this, before I make any posts on this myself.
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which server is #omf on? I'm usually on SynIRC only these days... :/
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

irc.freenode.net #omf

Ended up there as the main bunch of remaining people was already sticking around at freenode, which is a opensource/development network primarly.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting to say I updated all the image links, since I've re-organized the server since then.

Also direct link to web based client to the #omf chat here: http://www.omf2097.com/chat (also listed in my signature)

And I've posted up a couple of the ideas I've had in this thread on the wiki for future references, put them under my own musings on my user page: http://wiki.omf2097.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:joneirik

Still would like to hear some more response and opinions about things :)
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still would like to hear some more response and opinions about things Smile

On the main page one of your random quote has misspelled Saul's last name, it's Bottcher, not Botcher :p I'll have him hunt you down. Also, check out his current project: http://indiebooklauncher.com/.

Also because I was lazy/curious I cycled through the quotes. One of mine is attributed to my old username; I had changed it before OMF: BG even launched because I realized how stupid it was (I was young once). I'm guessing you pull them from a database; it is attributed to Slasher. You are free to mock me now.

Quotes from me in the past you included:
"[peer], get your head above the waistline!"
"Canada - the land of the free, home of the brave (but severly under armed)."
"I'm speciak Smile"
"When your naval forces consist of leaky subs bought from the Soviets, your ground forces are using technology slightly above what was used in Vietnam, and our air forces consist of Canadian Geese, I think its a safe description of our armed forces."

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: