OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Renamed: Random game talk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvereb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Renamed: Random game talk Reply with quote

I really wish we could have had this transferred to SOMEONE. I hate seeing the basic landing page and godaddy telling me they want $20,000+ for it. Sad

Sorry for the rant Smile
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meeh, it was a sound choice for Rob to sell it, as any 3 letter domain is possibly worth something, so if he got some money from it, then good. If he just expired it and let it go away, then bad, but I don't really assume he was that dumb.

I am mostly annoyed that he didn't bother to inform anyone that he did as he did. So it came cold upon everyone. But oh well.

Ah well, old news, old wounds :)

Personally I don't mind so much that the domain is gone. Sure that some won't find their way back instantly, but anyone bothering to do a google search will find their way back anyways.

And when you see the amounts of activity here nowadays, you can't really argue that Rob was wrong in shutting things down. I'll argue against it anyways, but I'm just stubborn and mule-headed that way.

*edit* Oh, for some reason it seems my avatar has been reset or removed, ah well, I'll use another old one then!
dvereb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he sold it as well. I just assume he let it go, though.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because no one else seems to be talking here anyways:

Currently been going on a run through all my old Castlevania games, and goofing around with many of the alternative modes in them. And been starting to really enjoy some of the hard modes in the later games. Just now I'm pondering trying on a game on Order of Ecclesia on Hard level 1 max mode. I just really don't think I'm going to enjoy this :p It was hard enough at Hard max level 50!
dvereb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played any of those. Are there any free versions? Gog, perhaps? If so, can you suggest a version to try? I need something new. Wink
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah nope, and also the greater part of them is console versions. Well, at least the ones I play. I got 1x psp title, 3x GBA titles, and 3x NDS titles. (and don't quite like the other two dozen variants).

You can probably find a bunch of them for cheap in used bins in gamestop stores or some such. At least a couple of the DS ones.

You should probably go read some reviews and stuff before starting at them, they aren't exactly mainstream I guess.

I am just amazed at whatever they where thinking when they made hard mode with a level cap, and even setting it further down to make it harder...

I just managed to complete hard 1 max on Order of Eclessia, but I had to use cheats for the last 4 bosses simply because it was getting to darn tedious to jump in and out of the menus to stuff curative items into the mouth at the ration of 40 potions a 15 seconds.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
Ah nope, and also the greater part of them is console versions. Well, at least the ones I play. I got 1x psp title, 3x GBA titles, and 3x NDS titles. (and don't quite like the other two dozen variants).

You can probably find a bunch of them for cheap in used bins in gamestop stores or some such. At least a couple of the DS ones.

You should probably go read some reviews and stuff before starting at them, they aren't exactly mainstream I guess.

I am just amazed at whatever they where thinking when they made hard mode with a level cap, and even setting it further down to make it harder...

I just managed to complete hard 1 max on Order of Eclessia, but I had to use cheats for the last 4 bosses simply because it was getting to darn tedious to jump in and out of the menus to stuff curative items into the mouth at the ration of 40 potions a 15 seconds.

The PSP one (I'm assuming you're referring to Dracula X Chronicles, right?) is a reworking of a couple of PC Engine/TurboGrafx16 games... it's pretty cheap if you can find it anymore as well (I think I've seen used copies for $5 or less).

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killer_roach wrote:
The PSP one (I'm assuming you're referring to Dracula X Chronicles, right?) is a reworking of a couple of PC Engine/TurboGrafx16 games... it's pretty cheap if you can find it anymore as well (I think I've seen used copies for $5 or less).

Yeah talking about Dracula X Chronicles (Or rather the un-lockable SOTN on it). Ah didn't know that, the SOTN (Symphony Of The Night, btw for those that are not familiar with it) version at least to my knowledge was only released on PSX1, Sega Saturn (iirc), Xbox 360 live, and as the unlockable on the PSP Dracula X Chronicles version.

I'd recommend the PSP version for anyone looking to try Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night. It seems to be the most complete version of the lot, including several things not on the original PSX1 version, and different versions of it has items placed in different spots, this is mostly different between japanese and american versions, and the PSP version follows the Japanese original. I think the 360live version follows the american original, I at least seem to recla finding things in different spots in those two.

It also contains several bonuses, like two more familliars than the american version, and even unlocks a Maria Renard mode after you complete it, which has only been playable on the Sega Saturn version before. The only thing it doesn't include are two areas they added to the Saturn version.

Ah well :)

I also managed to complete Portraits of Ruin, hard 1 mode today, had to cheat on the last boss (Dracula) because I simply didn't have enough curative items in entire inventory to deal with that thing. Especially when several of his attacks becomes 1hit-kill when you got max level 1.
dvereb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:

Ah, I sold all my consoles a while back. Strictly PC (and the wife has a Wii u). I found my next side-game anyways. I never did give Minecraft a fair shot. Now I'm running a small 4-player server on a server that is nowhere near capable, but it is doing fine with just me. If anyone is bored enough to join, let me know. Wink

As for the difficulty, is it the "fail a whole bunch until you perfect it" type? I suppose I should just watch a video. Lol.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeewwww..... Minecraft ..........

:p

Got a couple of friends that are addicted to that stuff, and I just don't "get" it. I also think MineCraft is 50% of the reason OpenOMF never gets finished, Kat keeps being to busy with Minecraft to finish the project ;)

Anyways, regarding the difficulty of Castlevania, it is up and down. Some of them can be rather unforgiving, others can be very coddling to a new player. SOTN and DoS (Dawn of Sorrow, NDS) for example is pretty forgiving, while COTM (Circle OF The Moon, GBA), and OoE (Order of Eclessia, NDS) certainly is not.

Granted, that is considering the "main modes" mostly. All of the games have at least one Alternative Mode that can be unlocked, and some of those can be batguanoinsane. Portrait of Ruin should get a special mention here, since it has a whole slew of alternative modes, in addition to the main mode, it got 3 alternative modes, and also 3 levels of hard mode unlockable, also some boss rush modes and a own section just for challenge dungeons :p

But yeah, if you like platformers, they are definitively worth a look. The only platform game I consider better than Castlevania is Metroid (the proper old 2d kind). And between those two games, I've just about lost interest in all other platform games. I lost my taste for super mario the day I picked up my first GBA with Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon back in summer 2000 or 2001, forgot which year that was.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
killer_roach wrote:

Yeah talking about Dracula X Chronicles (Or rather the un-lockable SOTN on it). Ah didn't know that, the SOTN (Symphony Of The Night, btw for those that are not familiar with it) version at least to my knowledge was only released on PSX1, Sega Saturn (iirc), Xbox 360 live, and as the unlockable on the PSP Dracula X Chronicles version.

Yeah, SOTN was just on those systems, although the other gameplay was taken from PC Engine titles (at least one of which was available as an unlock as well, if I recall correctly).

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also a whole lot of different "Metrovania" or "Castleroid" variant games out there, especially Indie Games developments seems to like that type of games, so if you like the type there are plenty to take from.

Castleroid/Metrovania is slang for the type of platformer games originally based on the Metroid games, Castlevania (with SOTN) coped a good deal of the same mechanics and added some of their own to make SOTN the most "rpg-like" of the Castlevania games up to then. Thus starting the whole name muck up thingy.

And all this is making me want to fire up Metroid Zero Mission again on the GBA...

Also, I think I'll rename the topic for orders sake.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
There are also a whole lot of different "Metrovania" or "Castleroid" variant games out there, especially Indie Games developments seems to like that type of games, so if you like the type there are plenty to take from.

Speaking of, probably should check out Rogue Legacy - it's a pretty unusual take on the Castleroid.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
katajakasa
OpenOMFdev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
I also think MineCraft is 50% of the reason OpenOMF never gets finished, Kat keeps being to busy with Minecraft to finish the project Wink

Nah, nowadays I play OpenTTD! Very Happy
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katajakasa wrote:
raptor wrote:
I also think MineCraft is 50% of the reason OpenOMF never gets finished, Kat keeps being to busy with Minecraft to finish the project ;)

Nah, nowadays I play OpenTTD! :D

Ohh, OpenTTD ! Been a while since I heard about that one, several friends of mine used to play that all the time, it was *the* LAN game for them :p I was usually complaining that they spent so much time doing that, that I could complete entire Age Of Wonders 1 singleplayer by the time they where halfway through one game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: