OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just have to post a couple of favorite things from Canada!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Just have to post a couple of favorite things from Canada! Reply with quote

Sitting on the internet from my laptop in a hotel in Edmonton Canada. And just wanted to share a couple of things I've found, that I really liked!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpejj095w2d63pl/Strathcona%20Metal.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rn2iypphjaox5bc/Edmonton%20Skybuss%20Arcade.jpg

Still got no idea why Dropbox insists on tilting the pictures on the side.

Love this town, I want to go back to norway and burn all our cities and rebuild them structured and orderly like this!
katajakasa
OpenOMFdev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Just have to post a couple of favorite things from Canad Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
Love this town, I want to go back to norway and burn all our cities and rebuild them structured and orderly like this!

If you had played openttd, you would know that flattening mountains is really expensive, and you had better have really well running train lines before attempting it!
3xcl4m4t10n

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another good thing from canada is that you can actually buy a nvidia shield at it price, TT-TT.

are you working there or just holydays? anyway, have a nice stance there!
Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another really great thing from Edmonton Canada you haven't mentioned yet. Did you get to meet Crusher?

Scorpion Navy Issue
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also liked this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eu9flri4y0rttdl/lumberjack%20sandwitch.JPG

Seriously, Canadians really can't friggin make decent sized meals, everything has to be way to large. Haven't ben able to finish one meal I've been served yet. That sandwitch is just insane. Been working at it for one day now, still not done.

Exclamation: vacation :)
Raven: Yup, sure did.

Gotta pack tonight, going back home, and going to have some real trouble fitting all the books I've bought.... and I've been holding back on the shopping sprees, big-time!

I might have to leave a few things :p (certainly I don't need all these clothes!)
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really a fan of Edmonton myself (sorry Crusher, where ever you are). I actually prefer where I grew up to Edmonton (Winnipeg) and I wouldn't want to move back there again. Vancouver, and BC in general are a lot prettier cities in my opinion with greater variety of activities than Edmonton.

As for the food portion sizes, they've been partially influenced by American food sizes. If you haven't see their fast food large portions, a good frame of reference is that it could probably feed 2 people - a large drink is basically a 2L of pop.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A single drink at almost 2L is a little daunting even by the local American standards. You find that in fast food, but most self respecting restaurants are more reserved with their portions. That's not to say that aren't still bigger than any doctor would recommend, they just aren't measure in liters.

With Winter coming, I wouldn't want to be any further north than Michigan right now.

Scorpion Navy Issue
killer_roach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
A single drink at almost 2L is a little daunting even by the local American standards. You find that in fast food, but most self respecting restaurants are more reserved with their portions. That's not to say that aren't still bigger than any doctor would recommend, they just aren't measure in liters.

Around here the largest fast-food soft drink commonly available is about 1.3L, and that's daunting enough.

I think you're starting to see other English-speaking countries adapt food portions that they think are "American", where we've actually moved a bit away from that in the past decade or so. (Seeing that in recent years that, depending on the metrics used, Australia and the UK have passed the US in terms of obesity rates, this seems to be happening.)

I'm a big guy, but I like massive quality over massive quantity.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had I been 19 years old again, I would have had at those portions with gusto. Unfortunately I am getting old, and the Stummy-Black-Hole isn't quite up to it any longer.

I was mostly trying restaurants, so the portions was just about 1/3 to much for me most of the time. This was actually a major annoyance as I was looking forward ot trying many different restaurants, and ended up hungry about half the time I had estimated. :(

Malf: Edmonton is definitively to large a town for me to live in. But considering that Oslo is half the size, and I have never NOT gotten lost in Oslo, even once! compared, I didn't get lost even once in Edmonton, in my first time there. Also so much better selection, more interesting shops, and so orderly and structured setup, I loved it!

Watching hos structured and systematic things where in Canada, I just wanted to torch down every single town I could find in Norway to rebuild them properly. I mean we don't know what a "straight road" is here. When they built out the Europe road 18, one of the main highways in Norway, they had to almost blow away 3 mountains to make it ALMOST straight!
killer_roach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
Watching hos structured and systematic things where in Canada, I just wanted to torch down every single town I could find in Norway to rebuild them properly. I mean we don't know what a "straight road" is here. When they built out the Europe road 18, one of the main highways in Norway, they had to almost blow away 3 mountains to make it ALMOST straight!

Sounds like Kentucky. Most of the major roads here were built around mountains and rivers, many following old horse trails. Comparing that to Indiana, where an abundance of flat land and a lack of major rivers make the layout of most places almost boring...

If only there was a good way of combining the two approaches.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: