OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to contact Rob Elam? (regarding OMF:2097 on GOG.com)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvereb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vagab0nd wrote:
Now, there *is* an OMF game with an explicit copyright grant for free redistribution, a decent set of mod tools AND and engine that should run pretty much anywhere... Wink

http://www.openomf.org/

But can we have more than two people in the game at once and then complain about how people won't let us 1v1 in our corner of the arena? Wink
General_Dingo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvereb wrote:
Vagab0nd wrote:
Now, there *is* an OMF game with an explicit copyright grant for free redistribution, a decent set of mod tools AND and engine that should run pretty much anywhere... Wink

http://www.openomf.org/

But can we have more than two people in the game at once and then complain about how people won't let us 1v1 in our corner of the arena? Wink

I miss being ganged up on in the HAR masters tournaments. It was really neat how the opponents would basically throw the match by targeting me instead of the guy who was winning. Wish 2097 had that.
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vagab0nd wrote:
Just remember guys, distribution of the mod tools falls under copyright, ... it is likely any NDA signed with DE has expired at this point ... but NDAs (usually) only cover sharing knowledge of internal details (technological secrets, customer lists, etc).

Correct on all points. In fact, I have an e-mail (11/21/03) from Wayne Frazee where it says verbatim "We trust you guys, all of you are in the beta at this point, some of you are technically no longer covered by the NDA that you agreed to when you joined because you have literally been with us that long." I was in the original round of testers, so even at the point of the e-mail I was likely not covered by the NDA anymore.

Hence I'll show pictures etc, but the actual tools are not getting out without explicit permission. Its easier to just say "I agreed to value my commitment to DE via NDA".

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
takuban

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As difficult as it may be to hear, you will not likely see any new releases of a licensed OMF property. Having 2097 be released on GOG or Battlegrounds would be nice, but I just seriously doubt it will happen.

Rob has moved on. I'm still keeping the lights on here to support the community and I'm hosting the update server so the patches when when someone installs OMF:BG. But that's as modern as stuff will be as far as I can tell.
dvereb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takuban wrote:
I'm still keeping the lights on here to support the community and I'm hosting the update server so the patches when when someone installs OMF:BG. But that's as modern as stuff will be as far as I can tell.

Thanks very much for doing it, too! If you ever consider shutting it down, please check with us first. I'm sure people here would be glad to chip in. Smile
takuban

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvereb wrote:
takuban wrote:
I'm still keeping the lights on here to support the community and I'm hosting the update server so the patches when when someone installs OMF:BG. But that's as modern as stuff will be as far as I can tell.

Thanks very much for doing it, too! If you ever consider shutting it down, please check with us first. I'm sure people here would be glad to chip in. Smile

Don't worry. If I'm ever in a situation where I need to dump this site, I'll let you guys know first. And if, for some strange reason, I was ever offered money for the site, I would offer it to the community first before accepting anything. I like that there are no ads on here and it's just a simple place for the community to talk about the game and other things. It's the longest running forum that I've been a part of. Wink
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takuban wrote:
dvereb wrote:
takuban wrote:

Thanks very much for doing it, too! If you ever consider shutting it down, please check with us first. I'm sure people here would be glad to chip in. :)

Don't worry. If I'm ever in a situation where I need to dump this site, I'll let you guys know first. And if, for some strange reason, I was ever offered money for the site, I would offer it to the community first before accepting anything. I like that there are no ads on here and it's just a simple place for the community to talk about the game and other things. It's the longest running forum that I've been a part of. ;)

Same, same, and same. And I love you :)
tytbone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takuban wrote:
Having 2097 be released on GOG or Battlegrounds would be nice, but I just seriously doubt it will happen. ... Rob has moved on.

I finally had contact with him over a year ago; sadly it was short-lived. Subsequent requests for a final response - even just a "no, I don't want to re-release on GOG" - have turned up nada. Sad

Of course it's great that the game was legally made freeware and fans have OpenOMF. It's just too bad - from a GOG fan view - that http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/one_must_fall_2097 will never be "completed".
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, as expected. And I agree it would have been great on GOG.
tytbone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To resurrect this, Rob now has a game on Steam in Early Access called Sentinels. I got in touch with him (at least I think it was him) through MindWalker Games on FB, and he said that Epic Games would have to be contacted to bring the game to GOG.

I thought all the rights had reverted to Rob, but apparently not? I'm quite confused.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure about Rob working with MindWalker Games ? tried some quick googling, but couldn't find anything.

I guess he have some experience with FPS from Planetside2 working for Sony, but just sounds strange. He has usually seemed more interested in personal skill games rather than strategy games (tower defense). I could naturally be wrong.
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriguing... I'll try to contact him through their site as well. Like Raptor, last I knew he was working on Planetside 2. I would honestly like to see if we could get the source for OMF: BG released so we can try and fix its compatibility issues with modern OSes. Or in the least make sure we have the latest patches etc that we can "safely" make available for anyone wanting to play. Release OMF: BG is buggy as all get out and I'd love to release the mod tools etc for people to play with.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex, one of these days, Rob is going to sue us for stalking :p
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
Malfrex, one of these days, Rob is going to sue us for stalking :p

... or doing some tracing back, it seems to be he's one and the same Rob. Sent a message off yesterday to Mindwalker Games and I got a Facebook request to try and talk to him directly. We'll see what I can get when I have time to send a message.

Fine, I'm a persistent stalker :p

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
MageKing17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
I would honestly like to see if we could get the source for OMF: BG released

That would be amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: