OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speculation thread: OpenOMF version 1+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Speculation thread: OpenOMF version 1+ Reply with quote

Since everyones favorite part about OpenOMF is talking about the stuff that one day should be added, eventually. I've been meaning to make a own thread about it, but just never gotten around to it, so abusing this day I'm sitting home sick from work to get it done, and think a bit about it myself.

First note, as everyone probably have been told by now, the guys making OpenOMF's goal is that version 1.0 shall be a 99% recreation of OMF2097, or at least as close as they can get it. And no new features or extra things will be added before this. But after Version 1.0, also popularly referred to as v1+ that is a whole other bag of snakes.

So this thread is about discussing what we want to see in V1+ :)

A couple of things like better hardware support, higher resolutions, built in tcp/ip or other internet support etc is however things they are going to add into the core 1.0 simply because.

Moving right along, a couple of things to get it started:

* re-balancing a few things, mainly using Robyrt's comments on this as reference.

* Internet play with ladder and ranking

* More options for making custom tournaments

* Custom made single player stories, with more options

* Training room (just to mention it before he does!)

* Alternative music options (Like making omfbg's music work in OpenOMF!)

* Custom/alternative tournament mode remake
Raven

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...stuff that one day should be added, eventually"
In browser replays using Javascript and crude 2D polygon models. That way nobody has any excuse to not watch a replay.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- HD resolution sprites/screens etc - can be someone sketching over the existing sprites or modeling out a 3D model and re-rendering them. I'd prefer keeping the appearance of the 2097 models over BG for ascetic reasons.

- New HARs. Bring Force, Warlord, and Mantis to the game.

- New tournaments following the full OMF cannon never touched on in 2097 and beyond (this is a very grey area, I know but at this point I'm kind of the gatekeeper of this, other than Rob/ other Diversion people who *might* have design docs).

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
"...stuff that one day should be added, eventually"
In browser replays using Javascript and crude 2D polygon models. That way nobody has any excuse to not watch a replay.

You mean youtube ? ;)

Seriously I think it would be easier to just have a way of capturing pure video that you could then upload to youtube. I mean, 99% of the population of this world doesn't seemingly care about the tremendous amount of bloat and bandwidth they throw at youtube to "listen to music" or some such etc, see friends of mine often finding a youtube playlist and put on for background music etc. But oh well, good thing more and more ISP's is moving over to free bandwidth on house connections at least. /Rant

But I think that having a simple .REC viewer mode, where you can browser and sort your .REC's put them in folders, and see descriptions to them, and click on one to have the full game open up and replay it, would be a good idea. That would certainly make it accessible enough for most. No arcane dos command prompt stuff like: "omf play last.rec" obviously that is hardcore hacker skills needed :p

Malfrex wrote:
HD stuff...

I think that would be quite a good bit of work, and definitively something that the OpenOMF guys are going to let be possible, but never ever touch themselves. :) Sensible enough.

Regarding new robots, same issue really, so darn much work, but I know they will definitively leave it open for someone else to try if they want.

Yeah, this is part of what I was thinking about under the option for new/more/multiple story modes, with more options. I find that the entire story telling used in OMF2097 is extremely limiting, I'm rather amazed it turned out as well as it did. But I honestly don't see how I would be able to tell any kind of story with the limits the current system imposes.

On the other hand, depending on how much extra options we get, that might not be a problem at all, and we could possibly expand or change the entire thing around. I'd love to see how this would work with the ability to make other game modes, so you could fight against a bunch of trash mobs first, before getting to the boss on a single "stage", as well as put conversations inside fights, and cut-scenes between each fight, and have round 1 and round 2 have different setups etc.

Other things we've talked about are new arenas, The base arenas themselves shouldn't be to hard to make, in many ways they are just a picture and dimensions, it is the hazards that tend to cause the most trouble. But both to make an arena that actually scrolls, and to show that it is possible to add new things to the game. Though I'm guessing hazards will be left out for now at least, to much hazzle.

I keep bugging them every time they make some fun bugs, to leave a way to replicate it so we can use it for future arena hazards! Like the first multiplayer test between me and Vagabond, with no combos, no knockback etc, and we just stood there hammering each others like drunken mode. Or the current air physics mode that would be hilarious with a half gravity mode arena, where people are just flying randomly about when knocked.

So much fun :)
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, double post!

Just remembered something else I've always wanted in omf, and that is IK+ style 3 player mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMAjObaTqzA

It would require some tweaking and adjusting, likely it would need an own swap direction button to work properly (and bypassing the essential problem of IK+ at the same time).

But just imagine the glory of having 2 against me at the same time! I'd love it!
killer_roach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
Hehe, double post!

Just remembered something else I've always wanted in omf, and that is IK+ style 3 player mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMAjObaTqzA

It would require some tweaking and adjusting, likely it would need an own swap direction button to work properly (and bypassing the essential problem of IK+ at the same time).

But just imagine the glory of having 2 against me at the same time! I'd love it!

Basically like Guilty Gear Isuka and its four-player modes... but yeah, the swap direction button is important (but also frustrating to use at the same time).

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
katajakasa
OpenOMFdev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
- HD resolution sprites/screens etc - can be someone sketching over the existing sprites or modeling out a 3D model and re-rendering them. I'd prefer keeping the appearance of the 2097 models over BG for ascetic reasons.

This is something I'd like to see also. The thing is, we probably have to switch to opengl if we want to render real 3d-models. On the other hand, we could probably do most of our palette tricks and conversions more easily in a pixel shaders ...

In any case, we'd probably need somebody to make the models and textures Razz

Malfrex wrote:

- New HARs. Bring Force, Warlord, and Mantis to the game.

- New tournaments following the full OMF cannon never touched on in 2097 and beyond (this is a very grey area, I know but at this point I'm kind of the gatekeeper of this, other than Rob/ other Diversion people who *might* have design docs).

In theory, we could already support adding HARs and arenas with relatively simple changes. It's just that somebody need to get to it and implement those changes Very Happy
katajakasa
OpenOMFdev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and about the replays. I've been thinking that we could just support REC recording in openomf. Either we reverse-engineer the original format, or just come up with our own.

In any case, when a match has been recorded, we could then use our own command line tool to generate a video with sounds from that REC file. That way we wouldn't need to do live video capturing, and we could just pipe raw stream through ffmpeg with a heavy encoding.

Also, if we have REC records, we could use those to make sure that Ladder games are valid. Both players play a match, and both send their RECs to the server, which makes sure that the RECs more or less match each other. This way we could make sure no game hacks were used.
katajakasa
OpenOMFdev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katajakasa wrote:
Malfrex wrote:

This is something I'd like to see also. The thing is, we probably have to switch to opengl if we want to render real 3d-models. On the other hand, we could probably do most of our palette tricks and conversions more easily in a pixel shaders ...

In any case, we'd probably need somebody to make the models and textures Razz

Oh, I think I actually misunderstood this one. Yeah, simple higher resolution sprites should be doable. We were planning on allowing higher resolution with full 256 color palette (right now limited to 48 colors). We could also support full 32bit colors, but then we would also have to support color tinting to allow changing HAR colors.
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having HD models would probably have to happen before adding in new HARs or arenas, simply due to the fact it would be visually jarring, unless someone REALLY wants to do pixel art versions of the new models.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: