OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOWTO: One Must Fall: Battlegrounds on modern Windows OS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
katajakasa
OpenOMFdev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: HOWTO: One Must Fall: Battlegrounds on modern Windows OS Reply with quote

This is how I got OMF:BG to run on 64bit Windows 7.

1. If you're experiencing an issue with a white screen in arenas, make sure Glow is disabled in Video settings.
2. Input handling is usually broken. This can be fixed by using a DX wrapper tool called DXWND (Available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/). Just extract the zip anywhere and run the tool.

DXWND Howto:

1. Start up dxwnd, and select Edit -> Add. A window called "Target" will open. Make sure "Main" tab is selected.
2. In Path field, find and select your OMFBG.exe binary.
3. Write something descriptive in the Name field.
4. In the Generic section, only select "Hook enabled". Deselect everything else in this section.
5. Select "Input" tab. In "DirectInput" section, select "DirectInput Hooking". Deselect everything else in this tab.
6. Right click the game name (or whatever you wrote to the Name field), and click "Run". Enjoy!
dvereb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've been itching to play, but I didn't install because I didn't feel like figuring it out. Smile
katajakasa
OpenOMFdev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvereb wrote:
Thanks! I've been itching to play, but I didn't install because I didn't feel like figuring it out. Smile

Yeah, I had been itching to play this for a while myself Razz I didn't end up playing it for long, but at least I can say that I've tried it now.
Christmas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I am not able to write anything or use esc.. I did everything right, double checked. Is this because I have an european keyboard?

Thanks!
katajakasa
OpenOMFdev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas wrote:
For some reason I am not able to write anything or use esc.. I did everything right, double checked. Is this because I have an european keyboard?

Thanks!

I'm using Finnish keyboard, no problem here. The keyboard layout shouldn't matter anyway.

What windows version are you using? Is your directx up-to-date ?
Christmas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Finnish keyboard too Very Happy Ollaan siis vissiin kummatkin suomalaisia Very Happy Well, anyways shall check the direct x. Thanks. Will report.

EDIT: Oh, and Windows 7 professional.
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I decided to revisit this thread, on a whim, and tested running the game using dxwnd as suggested. Glow was broken, as we know, and some keyboard handling was still borked - you couldn't enter your player name or configure a server.

Due to this I decided to take the massive effort (registering!) for sourceforge and in a matter of 2 days, we have a fix! Not for glow, but for the keyboard handling issues... which seems to actually be an issue with how DE implemented the mouse hooks.

They just released the fix as a custom build for the moment, but I'll update this thread if they do make it part of the mainline release. Until then:

https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/general/thread/cf17f561/

*moderately related*
I was digging through the test forums and found this link, which is publically accessible. It has a breakdown of all the classes etc in OMF: BG, which people might find interesting. It may help with manually besecting the DEObject files sans editor tools (or maybe Rob'll let us release them...)

http://www.omfdownloads.com/Engine/Docs/ScriptClasses/index.html

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, and nice work Malf!
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the interesting thing is I tried running dxwnd with the beta version of OMF: BG (never make it out to the public) v2198, and it completely ignores dxwnd. This is on Win 7... I'll have to give it a try on Win10.

I'll have to see if I still, somewhere, have the unlock code for the G3 beta... which most people didn't even know about. It was the "next game" Rob was working on using the Phoenix engine and had better support for the editor, along with extra goodies. However, I don't have the latest installer for it and omfdownloads seems to be missing the files despite still having authentication in place. If someone else out there has them (not very likely, I know), perhaps we can help one another out. As well, I'm hoping that Justin will get back in touch with me and we can try to rebuild the wiki that had guides etc for how to use the editor. At worst those of us who have the editor might be able to try and release a few mods by rebuilding the guides. I just want the newer version that is the 3dsMax 9 plug-in so import in the models.

In 4 days it'll mark the 12 year mark of OMF: BG's release.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
dvereb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent. I hope that's part of what you're looking for, but I'm not so sure.
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not, but I appreciate the thought Smile I just don't have the most recent installer for G3, which I was hoping to get my hands on since it has a much better version of the editor afaik. Or get the wiki for the editor back up and running. I have 2 "guides" for how to set up things in the editor: a new pilot and a new tournament. I suppose there isn't any harm in releasing those since it would not be very useful to anyone without said editor...

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
dvereb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next step would be to plug in a decade old hard drive and search for files. I've been telling myself to do that for various reasons for years now, so we'll see. Smile
MageKing17

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly: hello, everybody! Been a while (my last post was back in 2011... yeesh).

Secondly: thank you so very much for the DXWnd link. I haven't played BG since I moved from XP to Windows 7 because of the input bug; now I'm playing for the first time in years (and even found the mod tools on an old harddrive backup; fiddling with those without much luck so far).

After installing from the CD and patching up to 2172, I still couldn't actually get the executable to run, for whatever reason (it would start, according to task manager, but then immediately close itself with no error). After tearing my hair out trying to figure that out for a while, I finally just copied the (working) executable from the demo, and found it seems to work with the full game's data with no issues.

Malfrex wrote:
So the interesting thing is I tried running dxwnd with the beta version of OMF: BG (never make it out to the public) v2198, and it completely ignores dxwnd. This is on Win 7... I'll have to give it a try on Win10.

Hmm, I also have a beta v2198 installer lying around, but I also have patches to bring it up to... whatever version was after v2201. I know there were patches to bring it up to at least v2219 (going by the beta bug reports forum), but I don't seem to have any of them.

Somewhat of a bigger problem: I don't have my CD key anymore, so I can't really do much with it. On the plus side, I can type in the CD key field, so DXWnd certainly seems to be working on it (running Win10 here).

Slightly bigger problem: the v2198 to v2199 patch file won't run. I get a "The program can't start because PATCHW32.dll is missing" error, and if I try to download a DLL with that name off of the internet, the patch doesn't like it. The other patches all run, but without a v2199 to patch from, they don't do me much good.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reminds me of back when I got my first omf2097 copy, floppy disk 3 or 4 was corrupted so missed a few files, my dad copied over the same files from the shareware, and we got it working. But I couldn't view the new robots in ending scenes in tournaments etc. :)
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MageKing just tricked me into downloading the demo to test if it still connects (it did with direct ip), and I needed this guide to make the game itself work. Man, I suck at this game :p

Think DXWND might have updated and changed a few menus since Kat wrote this guide, but I figured it out.

(hook was moved to own tab, and they changed to wording on dinput option)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: