OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardcore Gaming Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Hardcore Gaming Review Reply with quote

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/onemustfall/onemustfall.htm

They did a review of OMF as a complete series over at hardcore gaming, with some interesting thoughts about them. I think they hit pretty good with their comments all over.

Anyways, enjoy. :)
katajakasa
OpenOMFdev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Gaming Review Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/onemustfall/onemustfall.htm

They did a review of OMF as a complete series over at hardcore gaming, with some interesting thoughts about them. I think they hit pretty good with their comments all over.

Anyways, enjoy. Smile

OpenOMF website statistics jumped up somewhat after that article got released Very Happy
Cyberman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone elaborate on what might be meant with this:

Quote:

While Battlegrounds is built to be easily moddable, the community simply did not surface for it, aside from a few attempts to bring back elements of 2097.

How can BG be easily moddable when there is no way to mod it? How could a community surface if no one was able to do anything with it?
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Built to be" and "was" are separate. The mod tools were made and were released in beta, but they never made it into the public. Admittedly, I could release the mod tools tomorrow and probably face no consequences as Rob prefers to have no connection with the remaining fans, but I'd rather not risk invoking the wrath of a developer 10+ yrs. hence for violating an NDA I signed.

I suppose I could always try and contact Ryan again to get an official stance.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
Cyberman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
"Built to be" and "was" are separate. The mod tools were made and were released in beta, but they never made it into the public.

Yes, I know. That's actually what I mean - maybe I'm just too thin-skinned, but the paragraph reads as if the blame was at the fans side.

Quote:
Admittedly, I could release the mod tools tomorrow and probably face no consequences as Rob prefers to have no connection with the remaining fans, but I'd rather not risk invoking the wrath of a developer 10+ yrs. hence for violating an NDA I signed.

Understandable.

Quote:
I suppose I could always try and contact Ryan again to get an official stance.

That would be great.

Too bad it won't go into public domain anytime soon...
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I'd say the fault was at both sides in the regard of the mod tools and community. Well, basically the game didn't hit off enough to really warrant work on such a tool, and a good part of those that did get access to it didn't do much about it, simply because it was to arcane, and required lots of reading, and fiddling to understand how it worked.

Of course not getting the mod tools out in public in the first place will also add further limitations to this, but it wasn't as if DE was under any obligation to do so either.

So the game was "built to be easily moddable", this was one feature that was just never expanded upon as much as was desired (from both parts).

PS: Kinda missing a smily with flames on right now :)
Xaronth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author mentions super moves and projectiles taking over the game which is incorrect. It was the super long combos that despite Rob's attempts to cut down kept being discovered.

Honestly looking back the single player portion was a waste. Better to have had a backstory and then go all out on the multiplayer considering the time and budget. Also I hate to say this but I feel like mouse look should have been implemented in someway. It was such a pain for new players to really get into the game and try it out considering the average PC player was used to it at the time.

Game still owns though.
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: