OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ori Klein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

Going over the "newly found" gamespy interview (looks like some of em got into the beta heh) I read the part of "Old favorites from OMF: 2097 like Jaguar, Pyros, Chronos, Gargoyle, and Katana will make welcome a return" and just start gashing in tears.
I want my novy!

A side project game that may never finish. Wink
Syrion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

I didn't like it. Warlord is taking Nova's place if I'm correct.
Ori Klein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

NOTHING can "take" the nova's place.
The smooth silky design, the awesome fearsome power, the wreckballs strength supersteel metalic hands...
*open in tears crying*

Spockmeat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

Dude, that's what mods are for

Blind patriotism
Pyronius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

I don't particularly like the nova, but one thing is clear: No robot can 'take the place' of Nova, or any other for that matter. Its a strange thing lots of people say. I mean... Jaguar 'take the place' of shredder? Blah. No, it doesn't have the gimmicks of the shredder, so how is it a replacement? Its fast and melee-oriented? Oh, ok, then Jaguar takes the place of Mantis and Katana, too, ok? hahaha. See how silly the concept gets?

Not to mention that the people that care for these particular 'bots won't be happy until there is a 'bot with that exact name, regardless of similarities in gameplay...I mean, Warlord has big guns, bombs and all just like the Nova had(come to think of it, you could model an old Nova and use Warlord base robot and it'd be darn close). But Nova lovers still want a "nova." To them, its not a nova unless its supposed to be.

The fact is that the Nova, Shadow and Flail are simply not in the game for various reasons including time and some gimmick-related difficulties. No excuses, no replacements. Its still a good game.

--Pyronius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too shocked if DE had a few surprises up their sleeves. Let's just wait and see. I'm not saying it's anything in particular, but let's just say, you won't care about missiing the Nova...
joe_larceny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

what are you talking about ice? there is no such thing as hidden characters

------------------
joe larceny
<A HREF="http://www.thedarkcrew.cjb.net" TARGET=_blank>.dc.</A>

kill the white man, Disco Champion, DosAscii

Clap if you love Jell-O!
Ori Klein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

WTF are you BSing pyronius.
Warlord is nothing like the nova.
The Nova worked with its fists and feet, mainly fists.
Warlord is a...welp let's not go there, some ppl won't be happy.
The Nova is a Nova, it has its own gimicks, it's own game playing style, it's own NAME (since you dwell on that silly point) and its own design.

And what's the problem making Nova?
The design is pretty simple.
The nova special's simply being properieted with Area Of Effect attributes and that solves any problem.

Mogusha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

Has anyone ever thought that there might be secret bots?
Terran_Drone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

Has anyone ever thought Nova now has only 2 legs?
joe_larceny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Icewing:
I wouldn't be too shocked if DE had a few surprises up their sleeves. Let's just wait and see. I'm not saying it's anything in particular, but let's just say, you won't care about missiing the Nova...

Quote:
Originally posted by joe_larceny:
what are you talking about ice? there is no such thing as hidden characters

Quote:
Originally posted by Mogusha:
Has anyone ever thought that there might be secret bots?

dude...mogusha your a genius
Robyrt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

Jag "takes the place" of Shredder in that it serves as the fast melee bot of the game (the Chun Li archetype). Force, on the other hand, is the ranged gimmicky bot (rather like Dhalsim's play style). Warlord isn't the same bot as Nova, but it represents the same kind of bot as the Nova was IMHO intended to be: big, strong, with lots of keep-away power. Of course, the Nova turned out to be a good melee fighter that couldn't keep an Electra away, much less Shredder or Gargoyle.

The only problem with assigning archetypes to each bot is that the 3D archetypes aren't very well defined, and BG is close to being its own subgenre of multiplayer fighting, so nobody knows how to really define a bot until its core strategies emerge.
Lord Ultramaximus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

Chun Li Xiang is not an "archetype" (yes I know what that word means), and you need a real hobby.
Robyrt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

This from a person who's spent months and months on a message board for an experimental fighting game that isn't even out yet... yes, that's me too, but I have seniority

And yes, Chun Li isn't exactly your typical fast close-in character, but she IS a very standard "fast-kicking female" character. I'm probably just displaying my ignorant American command of English here, but oh well.

------------------

Just because I'm bored and nobody wants to know, basic categories VF helped set for a 3D fighter.
Akira - High-power karate guy (TK Paul, DOA Ein)
Wolf - Wrestler guy (TK King)
Jacky - Showy JKD guy (TK Law, DOA Jann Lee)
Lau - Somber combo-freak guy (TK Kaz)
Pai - Weak string-oriented girl (DOA Kasumi)
Shun - Confusing drunken boxer (DOA3 whatsisname)
Lei - Stance-heavy Chinese guy (TK Bob)
Vanessa - Powerful girl (DOA Tina)
Sarah (pre-VF4) - Derivative "extra" character (TK Anna, etc.)
Kage - Balanced combo-friendly guy (half the DOA cast)
Aoi - "Pure" defense (no copies)
Jeffry - Strike-based heavyweight (TK Ogre/Jack/Kuma)
Taka - Grappler guy #2 (no copies deserved)
Lion - Off-the-wall stylish guy (DOA3 whatshername)
mrguytodd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I still can't get over the Nova not returning in BG. Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Ori Klein:
NOTHING can "take" the nova's place.
The smooth silky design...

Ummm.....The Nova was definately NOT smooth and silky, more like boxy and bulky :
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: